Thailand has a handful of scorpion species – all of which sting and can cause varying amounts of pain. Oddly enough, the bigger the scorpion – like the big black ones – the less painful the sting.
Smaller scorpions, usually brown, can cause greater pain and the pain can last 1-3 days. It can be tough to get through.
THE GOOD NEWS IS – NO THAILAND SCORPION SPECIES IS CONSIDERED DEADLY.
THE BAD NEWS IS – Anaphylactic shock can affect anyone after a bite by any venomous animal – Scorpion, ant, bee, bug, centipede, snake, etc. READ ALL BELOW.
What To Do with Scorpion Sting in Thailand?
1. Check the list of symptoms of anaphylactic shock below. If you have any of those, have someone drive you to the hospital immediately.
2. If you are just experiencing pain – even severe – you can relax because that’s what a scorpion sting is – pain, until it goes away.
3. Take Cetirizine (Zyrtec) pills according to dosage info on the package, or at the pharmacist or your doctor. These are antihistamine (anti-allergy) pills which will help the symptoms.
List of Symptoms of Anaphylactic Shock (Life-threatening)
Symptoms of Anaphylaxis usually occur within 5-60 minutes. HAVE SOMEONE DRIVE YOU TO THE HOSPITAL IMMEDIATELY IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Red rash, with hives/welts, that is usually itchy (It is possible to have a severe allergic reaction without skin symptoms.)
- Swollen throat or swollen areas of the body (It is possible to have a severe allergic reaction without skin symptoms.)
- Passing out
- Chest tightness
- Trouble breathing, cough
- Hoarse voice
- Trouble swallowing
- Stomach cramping
- Pale or red color to the face and body
- Feeling of impending doom