A reader wrote in to have a snake identified – and he sent an awesome photo that I wanted to share. The snake is a very common tree snake, called a Golden Tree Snake. They are excellent climbers and you’ll see them on palm trees, and in the ceilings of houses and bungalows – often. They have a strange skill. When they jump from a high tree – they can glide horizontally through the air – and land unharmed. They are sometimes called a “Flying Snake”.
These snakes are common, but, uncommonly fast. They are super-fast, whether on the ground in brush, or climbing something. They are excellent climbers and you won’t believe how fast they can climb.
Anyway – here is some information about this snake submitted by the copyright owner of this image – Kim Briers.
Hope you can help me identify next snake…It looks a bit like a green tree snake but I didn t wanna take any risks handling it…shame as i wanted to make a picture with some green background…
1. Location in Thailand – city, area the snake was seen
KOH YAO YAI
2. Environment found? Near water? In a Tree? On the ground? Under wood or something? On a wall? On the roof?
It was hiding inside a lantern of the hotel resort. We lifted the lantern and it came out really very fast and move up the table.
3. Estimate snake length and girth (thickness) of snake – was it thick as your finger? Arm? Calf? Thigh?
About 1 meter in length – girth, about 4cm
4. Found during night or daylight? What time?
Around 9.30 am at breakfast
5. If no photo is sent by email please describe the colors of the snake, patterns, anything you can remember.
6. Did the snake attempt to strike at you?
Not really but it was in strike position and could jump pretty well and was really fast. I was hoping it would move in a tree or so to make a nice natural shot but it was so so fast and disappeared under some stones…