(Last updated: 13 February 2017)
2017-2018 Herpetology (Snake – Reptile) Research & Experiential Internships in Thailand
We will be offering the opportunity for up to 8 persons each month in 2017 and 2018 for April, May, June, July, August, September, October, and November to stay in Southern Thailand to study and work with snakes (reptiles), amphibians, insects, or whatever you’re interested in. We are especially interested in snakes, but welcome all. You need not be a biology or conservation major to take part in this unique learning environment.
This is a unique opportunity for people interested in coming to Thailand for 7-60 days to learn as much as possible about snakes and other reptiles through their own research. (Species list here.)
This primarily self-guided experience can be adapted to fit your needs. If you want to obtain a lot of experience finding snakes or other reptiles or wildlife in the rainforest – we can focus on teaching you the skills needed to find them. If you want to become better at handling non-venomous or venomous snakes, we can help you accomplish that. We want to help you fulfill your goals and objectives while here. You will use this short time (typically 1-4 weeks per placement) to accomplish as much as possible. While we can suggest some general goals, each internship participant will come up with a list of objectives to complete during the internship.
SCHEDULE – Sign up for these months in 2017 or 2018.
At present you can sign up for weeks in the following months:
2017: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
2018: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
Participants in the program will be at a wilderness resort primarily. There will also be some short field-trips where we’ll stay in bungalows elsewhere. Single bungalows, or if we have a group, we may get one of the large houses – they are much more comfortable. Males with males, females with females. Your room will usually have a bed, table, chair, fan, hammock on the porch, and a porch or balcony. There are restrooms in each bungalow with hot water showers.
INTERN ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Basic – Male or Female; 19 yrs or more; High school graduate; English (speaking, writing, reading). Can communicate effectively, professionally, and politely with others. Positive attitude and strong work ethic is necessary because occasionally hours will be long and it can be hot and humid.
Interest – Participants should have a very high interest in learning about snakes or other reptiles and wildlife local to the Krabi, Thailand area. Interns should have an insatiable desire to learn more!
Background – Comfortable handling non-venomous snakes and other reptiles on a daily basis, or willing to learn. Students majoring in the biological or natural sciences are preferred, but someone with really strong interest, some experience, and without any college will be considered equally. The key is desire to learn.
Physical Condition – OK with hot and humid weather. June temperatures in our area are around 29-30°C average. July around 28°C. October maybe 26°C. Participants should have no problem walking for hours on flat ground, and hiking up small ‘mountains’ of 500 meters elevation occasionally. No limiting medical conditions. Healthy, with no life-threatening illnesses or allergies that may be exacerbated in Thailand.
Scooter – Interns may ride automatic scooters. This is the usual method of transportation here in Thailand. For long trips we will have a truck or van take us. At the very least, you should be able to ride on the back of a scooter as a passenger.
Insurance – You will need comprehensive health insurance which covers your stay in Thailand, or, cash available to pay for treatment in case of major accident (around $8,000 USD). You’ll be required to sign a waiver stating you have one or the other.
Participants in the program will gain an incredible amount of knowledge and have some life-changing experiences – including:
- skill and confidence in locating snakes and other reptiles in various habitats – freshwater, saltwater mangroves, ground, trees, caves
- learn snake handling – non-venomous and venomous snakes
- increased knowledge about snake behavior, hunting, feeding, diet, sleep, threat displays, striking, snakebite treatment
- participants will learn which snakes are the most venomous and the most dangerous – and how to protect against bites
- dozens of hours in the field herping in the rainforest – day and night
- rainforest photography / videography
Interns will help with whatever research projects we are doing at the time. This is an intensive program without breaks. We have once-per-week excursions to field herp new wildlife locations. We have a number of herping spots close to us – including primary forest, rubber tree plantation, grounds of the wilderness resort, national parks, caves, and mangrove areas.
On a Daily Basis, Interns May:
- assist in the maintenance of a small temporary reptile collection
- participate in day and night field trips
- document new animals found during field trips
- gain experience with non-venomous and venomous snakes, lizards, geckos, and other wildlife
- handle non-venomous, and mildly venomous snakes (those with advanced skills may handle some venomous snakes under tightly controlled conditions)
- log data online
- perform other duties – keeping bungalows, clothes, supplies clean and in working order
WHAT TO WEAR AND BRING?
Herping in Thailand – The Essentials. This is a helpful page that lists some of the essential clothing and tools you will want to bring with you for your internship.
There is no set deadline. We may choose to accept interns at any time. It is better to send your application in as soon as possible.
NOTE – WE ALREADY HAVE PEOPLE APPLYING, AND WE HAVE ACCEPTED SOME APPLICANTS. APPLY RIGHT NOW TO ENSURE YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE TO GET IN DURING THE WEEKS YOU PREFER!
One week – $800 USD.
Two weeks – $1,600
Three weeks – $2,400
Four weeks – $2,800
Extra days are pro-rated.
Note, this doesn’t say stipend, or salary, or income… This is what you will need to pay to cover your costs. We are not funded by anyone. We have the great location and expertise, but no grants.
- Food – 3 meals per day in the on-site restaurant or wherever we happen to be doing field trips. There is a $17 limit on food per person per day (200 THB per meal). Snacks and beverages not included.
- Room in a bungalow in our wilderness resort.
- Transportation (Krabi International Airport (KBV) and Bus Station Transfers, Scooter, Gas).
- Instruction, guidance, supervision, assistance.
- Supplies (5 internship t-shirts, etc.).
A non-refundable deposit of 30% is to be paid upon acceptance by direct wire transfer or Western Union. Sorry, no checks or money-orders – they are difficult to process here.
We may accept a candidate for two successive months, but we must be notified well in advance that this is your intention. We will figure out a special price for you.
APPLICATION – send email and address the following:
- Full name, age, address, country of citizenship, email.
- Any allergies, phobias, physical or mental illnesses? Please explain fully.
- Which month(s) and year would you like to apply for?
- Will you be coming as part of a group (two or more?)
- Would you like to stay longer than one term?
- Have you been in a jungle / rainforest environment before? Provide details – when, for how long, where, doing what?
- What is your interest in snakes or reptiles in Thailand? Why would you like to join this Summer internship?
- Have you handled reptiles before? Venomous snakes? List species.
- If you are currently studying in a university, or have been – what was your major, minor?
- What is your goal 5 years from now – relating to reptiles?
- Anything else you would like to tell us or ask us?